Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You've just been mooned

     Full moon overnight last night. Got a quick pick this morning when I woke up. It was a seriously bright moon. Almost hurt my eyes to look through the viewfinder. I think because it has been so dry, there was no humidity to destroy the shot. Crisp and clear it was.
     I have to say looking at this picture tonight really makes me step back and wonder about the entirety of the universe and my place in it. Every day now, it seems, the new Kepler Space Telescope is discovering new planets hundreds of light years away, that are in or near the Goldilocks zone of their star. We are very close to discovering a planet outside our solar system that has the possibility of life on it. Can you even imagine what the ramifications will be here on earth? It just blows my mind. We are just years and maybe even only months away from some startling new discoveries from Kepler.
     Now here is a picture of an object about 240,000 miles away, and with a very good camera we can see many of the features. The Sea of Tranquility where the astronauts landed. Tycho the white crater in the white section. Copernicus, the white crater in the dark section. I could go on, but my point is, think about what is out there.








“The feeling of love is the same feeling that you get when you stare into the moon on a clear night.”

 For my whole life we have lived in a world that has put a man on the moon. I would love my children to live in world that has put a person on another planet and communicated with another galaxy. Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment